Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:41:52 -0400
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        aurikus grande <aurikus@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to log sshd access in a single file
References:  <CAPzqM6D=hy9P-N3TwLZQAbPp4bU_Sp57-LN-DmLaBkD_3jQSTg@mail.gmail.com> <CAHzLAVH%2BDU67cYt9vQB9BSRor8HgsL=A_HxFGbXpPaG-0ukEFQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAPzqM6Duoe5qOPevqHPrXG=%2Bq5u=AYrBe88yKH5ksAx76ac=aw@mail.gmail.com> <CAHzLAVE96vJK3ni1=WoSbiChODa7PhWhghLOKTXHNw9qnVM3=A@mail.gmail.com> <CAPzqM6CL=LJA9MHnKW8NS7=Y_36NgeGuJCSt98zUedAvmCfKww@mail.gmail.com> <CAHzLAVEtM=8rhcd4s-sjJ2Kcoy-RnOpxgJTCWOHaT_r85h2p8w@mail.gmail.com> <CAPzqM6B0dfS=0_V=6nnZwc6m%2BSVQDN=R6TaG37hP4rf6z9rTjQ@mail.gmail.com>

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM, aurikus grande <aurikus@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Most web servers handle their own logging.
> I do _not_ want the web server acces to be logged (at least as of now).

Which is fine, but still configured via your web server.

>Have you looked at /var/log/auth.log?
> yes, and as you mentioned in your previous update, it logs the success
> login (only). Unsuccessfull attempts are being sent to  /var/log/messages .
> So there are 2 separate files. I would like to have all sshd access
> attempts in one single file - regardless if they are successfull or
> unsuccessfull.
>

> Quotation: "I believe FreeBSD defaults to failed ssh authentication is
> logged to /var/log/messages while successful authentication is written to
> /var/log/auth.log."

I was incorrect.  Fail and success are both recorded here.  Even if this
were the case, the best way to accomplish what you're looking for is still
syslog.

> >Can you elaborate on your reasons for running sshd via inetd? I'm curious
> as I've never even heard of anyone attempting this.
> When i searched how to setup / configure sshd on internet, i found many
> hints to start it using inetd. Since it worked for me there was no reason
> to change it.

In general, most administrators will not run ssh via inetd.  A more common
configuration is detailed in the FreeBSD handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/openssh.html

--
Take care
Rick Miller