Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:08:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ELLISOND%SC2.EDW@mhs.elan.af.mil
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1 Alarm Monitoring - Multi I/O (Advice)

(Sorry to take so long to get back on this...)

ELLISOND%SC2.EDW@mhs.elan.af.mil stands accused of saying:

> I would like to configure a FreeBSD 2.1 box to monitor Contact Closure
> Alarms generated from a Motorola Smartnet II Trunked System Controller,
> Multiple channel banks and a DS3-Microwave System.  Is there a card or
> method supported by FreeBSD 2.1 that can handle this type of operation?

You can do this with an off-the-shelf digital I/O card, and talk to it with
user-mode port I/O.

> I also plan on using the same box to attach multiple RS232 communications
> devices (3 remote site controller, 3 Best UPS, and 2 Motorola Unix Boxes).
> I am considering a Cyclades 16 port board (previous experience with board)
> for this job, but if there is a card with the RJ45 connectors on the card
> instead of an external box I would rather use that.

If none of these are talking particularly hard, you could go with one of
the PC-COM 8-port RJ cards.  These work quite well.

> 		Duane R. Ellison, SrA

Again, sorry to be so slow in responding to this 8(