Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:03:48 -0400
From:      Chris Ptacek <cptacek@sitaranetworks.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   fragmentation... TIME to SPACE

Hello,
  I am running a machine (FreeBSD 3.2, unfortunately upgrading is not an
option at the moment) with a squid proxy.  We will sometimes get TIME to
SPACE messages on our cache partition which appear to be caused by
fragmentation (df shows about 75% disk usage).  The source has the following
comment:

		/*
		 * At this point we have discovered a file that is trying to
		 * grow a small fragment to a larger fragment. To save time,
		 * we allocate a full sized block, then free the unused
portion.
		 * If the file continues to grow, the `ffs_fragextend' call
		 * above will be able to grow it in place without further
		 * copying. If aberrant programs cause disk fragmentation to
		 * grow within 2% of the free reserve, we choose to begin
		 * optimizing for space.
		 */

My question, are there any settings/modifications (file system, disk usage,
etc) I can tweak or play with in order to try and eliminate these TIME to
SPACE changes?

  - Chris