Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 20:59:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fatal double fault

I just had my machine die with the error message "Fatal double fault:",
looking at sys/i386/i386/trap.c is where this message is coming out.
The other 3 printfs that are supposed to follow that message never
came out.

The interesting this is that my machine died just at the same point
where I've been having lockups when starting my PPP connection.
For the past several days or so I've been getting lockup where
everything is sleeping on "lockrd" (something in the vm code)
just as my PPP connection is established.  I suspect that the above
crash is related.

Now the other interesting this is that at the same time as the
"lockrd" hangups started, pppd started doing something strange.
It will run the /etc/ip-up script, immediately run the /etc/ip-down
script and then immediately run the /etc/ip-up script again and
leave the connection up.  I'm going to go play around and see exactly
what I have in those two scripts that might be causing problems,
but I thought I would mention it here in case anyone had any ideas.

All of these problems have happened with various -current kernels
over the past several days (maybe even as long as a week).
The "double fault" problem just happened with a kernel I sup-ed at
7 am this morning.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@minn.net