Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:56:44 -0400
From:      Dan Flemming <danflemming@mac.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Two IP addresses

"Andresen,Jason R." wrote:

> Dan Flemming wrote:
> >
> > I have a 3.4-RELEASE box with two IP addresses, both established by
> > userland ppp.
> >
> > Now, when I establish tun1's IP with a call to ppp, it initially seems
> > to work, but it gives a warning:
> >
> > Warning: Add route failed: default already exists
> >
> > I haven't been able to route packets using tun1... what am I doing wrong?
>
> What are you tying to do?  You can only have one default address in
> FreeBSD.  Do you want to load balance packets?  If tun1 is a private
> network, just route it as such.  see route(8)

ok. I have figured out a few things, like what the syntax of the 'add'
command in my ppp.conf is :)

(I'm using a ppp.conf that I did not write most of)

what I want tun1 to do is route packets from Dante. basically, tun0 is
my ISP, and tun1 is my university. My university has paid for some
online services which use the IP address to validate access, and if I
can get Dante to send packets through tun1, then I can access those
services from home, since they're all web-based and Netscape has socks support.

route, unfortunately, seems prone to liking tun0 for some reason. I
tried adding a route to tun1's ip address, and while it happily listed
the route with tun1's ip, gave a network interface of tun0. odd.