Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:51:16 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cleanout & rebuild of /dev on -current

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 09:39:27AM +0200, Szilveszter Adam wrote:

> >    Given that the above can be automated on a live
> > system, is this something that can/should be added
> > to make installworld/world?  (or atleast generate
> > a report of changed devices, or devices that can
> > nolonger be created..)
>
> It already is, if you do it the recommended way, also running mergemaster(8)
> during the process, that is. It also does a MAKEDEV in /var/tmp/root *and*
> automatically checks for differences.

OK it seems I was just making this up. After checking the code for
mergemaster(8), it only checks MAKEDEV itself for changes. Well, this way
you certainly will catch all *new* devs, but will not delete old ones.

But my other suggestion still stands. Also devfs may be an option, but I
have never used it because it is still marked as highly experimental and
"doesn't handle disk slices well" to quote the NOTES file.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University