Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:07:12 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

%On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
%
%> > I for one would love to see 2.8.1 or newer in the tree for my own,
%> > selfish reasons.  Many ports (new architectures) would benefit from
%> > this.
%>
%> Is that to say that you prefer it over egcs 1.1.1?  If so, why?
%
%I have found egcs to be slightly better at C++ code (for my own projects
%anyway).  I believe that it may produce better code too but I don't have
%any real evidence.

The ACE people recommend egcs.  Taken directly from ~ace/ACE-INSTALL.html:

"ACE/TAO don't seem to build well with g++ 2.8.1. We routinely use g++
2.7.2.3, egcs 1.0.2, and egcs 1.0.3, and recommend those versions. egcs 1.1.1
is reported to be OK, as well."

TAO is quite an exercise for a C++ compiler, and I build it just fine
on -current with the egcs in ports.

Russell