Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 18:31:15 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports collection for Solaris

Hi!

Porting the ports collection to Solaris has been a dream of mine for quite some time, too...

Michael Grant wrote:

> > Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>:
> > I doubt it, but if anyone tries to, I would be surprised if they finished.
> > There are 2,966 (?) ports to "port", in addition to perhaps a few changes to
> > bsd.port.mk, among other things.
>
> Well, it was my hopes that most of the changes would be in bsd.port.mk and not
> in the 3000 odd other Makefiles! A lot of things compile untouched on
> Solaris.  Secondly, it would be crazy for any one person to try and maintain
> so many Makefiles!  Better to put the infrastructure in place and let the
> owner of each port tweek their Makefile if necessary.

Yeah. Like NetBSD; they have of very small number of ports compared to FreeBSD, since not all has been ported again. It is usually very easy to take a FreeBSD port and use it with small or no
modifications.

> > Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
> > Out of curiosity, did you ask about interest for this on a *Solaris*
> > list?  They'd be a heck of a lot more interested in the idea ... it seems
> > odd to ask for support for Solaris on a FreeBSD list.
>
> No, I thought I'd ask here first because I thought if anyone knew about a
> ports collection for Solaris it'd be you folks.  I am considering doing this
> myself or atleast giving it a try and seeing how far I get.

The right thing to do. If you ask a Solaris only sysadm, he'd probably never heard of "the ports collection", and would probably not understand the greatness of it right away. Many FreeBSD:ers, like
myself, work with more than one unix dialect.

> Porting freeBSD's make doesn't sound unreasonable.  That seems a damn site
> easier than changing 3000 Makefiles!  So I've started to do this.  I now have
> a working freeBSDmake on Solaris.  I've started looking at bsd.port.mk.

sounds great!

> Is this list the correct place to discuss a more portable ports collection?
> If so, I'll join, if not, I'll go away!

Probably not in the long run. We'll need our own mailing list sooner or later...

/Palle