Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:35:22 +1300
From:      Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

Brett Glass wrote:

> "The music industry" is a very broad term. It includes musicians, composers,
> publishers, retailers, agents, lawyers, producers, engineers, equipment
> manufacturers, etc., many of whom make very valuable contributions.
> The way in which music is delivered may shift, but it's absurd to say that
> the entire industry will (or should) just "fade away." As I've said several
> times during this conversation, there have been changes in the technology,
> but this is no reason to instigate a war between the many different interests
> involved in delivering content. By preaching destruction, as you do in your
> message, you're declaring war instead of brokering a new (and, hopefully,
> better) peace.

Okay, let's refer to that part of the Music Industry that is represented
by large corporate entities selling popular music. I'm restricting my
comments to this arena because here I believe I actually have some Clue
about the behaviour of the companies involved (or, at least, some
Opinion, which in the end is all that matters, isn't it?).

In that context, I would say that Anon's comments are spot on. I'd go
far as to say that those aforesaid corporate entities could be best
described as a collection of amoral scumbags who will go to any length
to further their own profits at the expense of artists and consumers. I
am more than happy to declare war on these pricks.

Go read Courtney Love's Salon article again and then tell me we don't
need a revolution.

						-- C.