Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:30:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Stephen Hansen <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports not working? :(

Stephen Hansen wrote:
> *sighs* I'm having much more trouble getting everything to work on this
> incarnation of things then I have had in the past -- but ya'll are great and
> i'm working through it :) Much thanks.
>
> My latest problem is with ports.
>
> For the time being I want to install 'colorls', but i've tried to install
> another
> thing or two and it didn't work either.
>
> I'm in /usr/ports/misc/colorls, and /cdrom is mounted. Problem #1 is that
> the Makfile/other-information fo Colorls list the file its looking for as
> ls2.2.7.tar.gz, where as /cdrom/packages/misc/ has a colorls2.2.7.tgz.

Ok.  There are two sets of tarballs.  One set are packages that are
added with the pkg_add command.  Packages are pre-built tarballs that
already contain the binaries, etc.  Ports are different.  They actually
download the source and then compile the source and install it.  I don't
think the latest CD's include the source tarballs anymore due to lack of
space.  If they do, they will be under /cdrom/ports/distfiles/.  If not,
then make sure /usr/ports/distfiles is not a symlink, and if it is, delete
it and make it as a directory.  Note that to build ports you need to have
net access of some sort to download the source tarballs if they aren't
on the CD's.  You can also see the Handbook section on ports for more info.

Hope this helps.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/