Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:17:03 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        jm7996@devrycols.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 and 2.2.X

On Mon 1998-09-07 (00:04), James A. Mutter wrote:
> When 3.0 is finally released, will the move from 2.2.X -> 3.0 be as
> seemless as any of the move within the 2.2 branch, or are we looking at a
> complete reinstall?

In theory the systems in place will make this move pretty seamless.
Apparently someone on -CURRENT moved from 2.2.5-RELEASE to a recent
3.0-CURRENT with ELF, and it worked fine (it was ona 386DX-40 and took 69
hours or so, but still.)

Basically it should be a case of cvsup'ing, making buildworld, shutdown, make
installworld, make kernel, and reboot, as it is now.  The entire mechanism is
pretty amazing, and should work indefinately.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za