Date:      Wed, 07 May 2008 11:59:16 -0700
From:      Mike Bowie <mbowie@buzmo.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java/eclipse update?

Jonathan Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After seeing some progress on the 3.3.2 port the past few months, I
> was hoping that someone would commit it to java/eclipse-devel, or
> even java/eclipse. Any possibility of that happening?
>
> Cheers.

Of course, I'd be happy to jump on Jonathan's bandwagon here.

I've been using Ken's 3.3.2 build since he first posted it and have no
complaints.  I'm using CDT, PHPeclipse (with xdebug), SQL Explorer,
Subclipse, the Apache LDAP browser and Mylyn, all very happily thus far.
  (Might have a few others on the machine at home too.)

While I hope not to hi-jack the primary message here, I do know that one
of the issues previously raised with bumping java/eclipse was that of
the port plugin dependencies.  While this may be a foolish question to
ask, for the most part, is there really a need for all these plugins to
be available as ports?  The Eclipse update mechanism serves me well for
all the plugins I currently use and from what I can see at a glance,
only eclipse-cdt actually includes any patches; the current value of
which I might have to question given that I'm running it joyously from
the update site.

Having the ports there may offer a port lover a quick way to get their
Eclipse install kitted out, but the list is certainly minor compared
with the list of plugin's out there; which I'd imagine would lead most
users to use the update mechanism anyway... and should the user choose
to update their plugins, the installed port becomes somewhat unnecessary.

I certainly don't wish this to be perceived as a lack of thanks for the
porters out there; I'd just like to see java/eclipse closer to the
current release... not just now, but as we move forward also.

Cheers all,

Mike.