Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:37:29 -0700
From:      "Kulraj Gurm (bosa.ca account)" <kulraj@bosa.ca>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

Something we did several months ago :

FreeBSD make buildworld 4.2 (cvsup)
Virtually identical machines, three different CPU's
Duron 700    66min
PIII 700        65min
Athlon 700    55min

The surprising factor to me was not that the Athlon was easily the fastest
at this task (I expected that), but that the Duron performed so
exceptionally well compared to the PIII which at the time was three times
the cost!

Regards,

Kulraj