Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:48:02 +0100
From:      Uwe Laverenz <uwe.laverenz@difi.de>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.x to current not possible?

Hi Sheldon,

> I must admit, I thought we'd already got to the stage where you could
> fairly easily upgrade from legacy systems.  How long ago did you try
> with CURRENT sources?  If more than a day ago, you might very well want
> to try again?
My last attempt was yesterday morning, and to my surprise "make
buildworld" worked without any problems. This shows that things have
improved very much, since this wouldn't have been possible a few weeks
ago.

After the buildworld I switched to single user mode and tried to run
"make installworld" which crashed with signal 12 in /bin/sh. The machine
was running 3.3-STABLE (december 6th).

> Perhaps you'd like to post the actual error messages you get when
> you try to upgrade to CURRENT?  If so, please post them to the
> freebsd-current mailing list.
Ok, I'll start a new attempt this evening.

Thanks,
Uwe