Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:34:48 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>
Subject:   Re: soft errors and so on?!

Paul Dekkers wrote:

> Hi
>
> What do these soft errors mean? That my disk is going to die or that the
> disk wasn't properly unmounted because some prog still wrote on it or
> something?

Soft errors are normally read errors that are corrected in hardware/software
(by the fact the drive stores more bits than the original 'data' bits (for
error checking / recovery)

Be careful, your drive could be on it's way out... Or at the very least you
might have bad blocks that are 'borderline' readable... Now would be a good
time to make sure you backup your important data...

-Kp