Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:40:54 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        chad@anasazi.com
Cc:        se@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI ethernet

At 12:34 AM 3/13/97 -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
[FreeBSD on Compaq Prosignia 300]
>So I commandeered them.  I tried to load (the then-current) FreeBSD
>2.1.5, but it had the same problem.  No disk.  On the odd chance that
>someone had made progress on that front, I downloaded the boot floppy
>from the 2.2-beta, which =did= find the disk.  So, I proceeded to do a
>network install of 2.2-beta for practice.
>
>I got my 2.1.7-RELEASE CD-ROM in the mail Monday.  I was curious if the
>disk controller code had migrated into the stable tree, so I made a boot
>floppy from the CD.  I was pleased to see that it succeeded in finding
>the disk drive and the CD-ROM drive as well.  So I proceeded to blow
>away the 2.2 stuff and reload the whole machine from the CD.  Since this
>machine is headed into a production role, I feel better with the
>"stable" world for it.

This is not the disk controller code.  This is a two-line change to the PCI
detection code to be able to handle PCI 2.0.  In fact, by migrating one of
the PCI files from -current (I don't remember which one) you've been able
to make this work since 2.1.0.  (I ran 2.1.0 on a Prosignia 500)

>Unfortunately, I had failed to notice that although 2.1.7 now handles
>the SCSI controller, it does not handle the PCI ethernet adapter.
>Bummer.  No network.
>
>So, here's the question.  How hard would it be to put the PCI ethernet
>code from 2.2 into 2.1.7?  Would that be loonie in light of my desire
>for stability?

You don't want this.  You want to add the following line to the config file
for your kernel:
device lnc1 at isa? port 0x7000 net irq 3 drq 0 vector lncintr

Feel free to ask if you have any more problems; I'm running it successfully
(albeit without ASR - I'll see if I can do something about that :)

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org