Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:00:50 -0500
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Mike Heffner <mheffner@vt.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-audit <FreeBSD-audit@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Overflows in /usr/bin (halfway)

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 11:34:29AM -0500, Mike Heffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran my overflow testing program through the /usr/bin directory. It tests for
> command line and environment overflows. It only made it half way through, but
> it so far detected 16 binaries that overflowed (out of 239). I've posted
> the output (links below), anyone that's looking for something to do and has the
> time might want to look through the output.

Sounds like fuzz, but with env var support.  Any chance of a port?

> http://my.ispchannel.com/~mheffner/freebsd/usr.bin.run-20001230-notemp.gz
> 53.7KB / 1,462.1 KB  (compressed/uncompressed)

A summary of the findings would have been nice (1.5M of repetitious
data is, well, repetitious).  The following is a list of the affected
programs:

doscmd dnsquery systat rpcgen ld as [Mm]ail lam jot indent hesinfo
gate-ftp pftp ftp

Many of these problems appear to be fixable with some simple bounds-
checking.  I have patches to fix a few of these (which may or may not
have been submitted to -audit). See
http://www.fxp.org/jedgar/FreeBSD/patches/pending/

Additionally, I have been building a list of potential problem
programs to check/fix and will add these.

--
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org