Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:22:48 -0800
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

I'm a 52yr old newbie --- worse I don't know jack-shit about FreeBSD or any
*nix for that matter. So please take my following observations in that
context. It is NOT my intention to disparage anyone.

I have never been an IT professional but did start dinking with computers in
the days of CPM and the Apple 2E. So I have done my fair share of tinkering.
When GUI Macs appeared and then Windoze (say around 1986?) I made the
statement then to a friend of mine that Unix ought to get the lead out, come
out of the inner sanctum and *show* itself for what it can be for the
masses. Of course hardware appropriate for Unix was prohibitive for the
masses. Now it isn't, and IMHO *nix (except for the Penguin) in still
cloistered in it's inner sanctum. I have wanted to learn Unix all this time.
But guys, to launch myself in this new caper, "I simply want to know the
time, NOT how to make a watch" -- if you get my meaning. Personally, being a
tinkerer, I'll definitely want to know "how to make that watch" -- but
later, when I'm comfortable "telling time". When you guys first started
driving cars, where you all in a position to set the valve timing, the
ignition timing, etc. Can you guys NOW overhaul your fuel injectors and tune
your high-tech engines. Do you want to know how? Do you care?

I'm amazed at the brain-power, and level of knowledge and competence on this
list. I also read the PHP language list, and am equally amazed at the level
of expertise of *those* C programmers, especially Rasmus Lerdorf -- PHP's
creator. I can't for the life of me believe that you folks can't present
FreeBSD to the world in a simple, no-brainer version to get us wnnabee
dummies in the drivers seat. You know what, once were *in* that drivers seat
and marvelling and drueling at FBSD's capabilities, you have then gone a
long way into making the next generation of FBSD gurus. However, if all we
newbies can do is lurch forward like someone learning to drive a standard
transmission, and never get moving or are so limited by the complexities,
then FBSD *may* remain a novelty only to be enjoyed by a few gifted folks.
I'm not suggesting to compromise the open-endedness of *nix, but simply to
put together a useful, single-user, beginner's package that is a no-brainer
to get going. Once they're behind the FBSD wheel, you've got them for life.
*Then* we can start doing our homework for the more complicated network
stuff etc.

Unfortunately, it's ALL a question of marketing and PR. The proof is staring
us all in the face --- a marginal product (windoze vis-a-vis FBSD) has made
it huge worlwide. Linux is making huge headway. What do these two products
have in common -- marketing & PR *and* ease of installation (although Linux
still has a ways to go, I think). FBSD will *never* evangelise and convert
the masses unless it does likewise -- but better. Here's a golden
opportunity to take the wind out of both Windoze and Linux's sails.

I just can't accept that people as *sharp* as you can't do it!! Or maybe
it's that you don't want to.....In the meantime, I'll continue lurking,
reading and learning FBSD.

with respect.....duke