Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:43:40 +1030
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P5GD2: onboard SATA RAID support

--H8ygTp4AXg6deix2

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:49:05PM +1030, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

> The only disks in the system are two identical SATA drives which I
> want to make into a RAID1 array.  How can I bootstrap into this
> setup using the atacontrol approach?  I've installed onto ad4, but
> just doing 'atacontrol create RAID1 ad4 ad6' isn't going to
> replicate this disk over to ad6 and make the resulting array
> bootable, is it?  Do I need a temporary third disk to boot from, set
> up the array and then install onto that?

I see the answer here is no.  The approach is:

 - Install onto ad4 (or ad6).
 - Create ar0 using atacontrol.
 - Reinstall and ar0 will be offered as a destination disk.

> I don't mind waiting a while until this code:
>=20
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-February/046006.h=
tml

On this point, would I be better off waiting until ata(4) can
recognise the ICH6 metadata and restart the process using a
BIOS-created RAID1 array, or is the ata driver-based RAID1 array
created above just as robust?

--=20
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/