Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:35:02 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   powerpc (non-64) 11.0-CURRENT -r280598 vs. iMac G3 and PowerMac G5

I built a powerpc (non-64) 11.0-CURRENT -r280598 SSD (via gcc 4.2.1, not =
4.9.1) and it has worked okay in G4 PowerMac's that I've tried. (I have =
no prior 11.0-CURRENT non-64 powerpc G4/G3 history, but do have a little =
for for the G5's.) I'm counting here PowerMac's that 10.1-STABLE works =
fine for, as did older builds going back to 10.0-STABLE.

But the SSD does not boot in the iMac G3 that I tried. Nor in the =
PowerMac G5's. Likely different reasons, even based on the little =
information that I have so far.

It may be some time before I get to having much information but what I =
have now is:

The below are all for the same SSD plugged in different =
PowerMac's/iMac's and then used to boot, not changing the software =
between times.

PowerMac G4's:

No problems so far.

(Note: I've access to one PowerMac G4 that I'm ignoring here. While Mac =
OS X and Lubuntu have never had troubles with it, every FreeBSD build =
that I've tried from back in 10.0-STABLE times when I started to now =
hangs during the boot sequence, fairly early.)

iMac G3 (I've access to only one example G3):

After

> Time counters tick every 1.000 msec

it gets:

> [Thread pid 0 tid 100037]
> Stopped at pmap_activate+0x7c lwz r11,r1,0x0

which may be reporting the instruction after a indirect subroutine jump.

PowerMac G5's:

Unlike the past where things worked overall the build now gets to the =
point of just mostly reporting timeouts, retries, and such for ada0 =
(where the SSD is plugged in). This is fairly early in the boot =
sequence.

Notably some ata support has been removed from 11.0-CURRENT according to =
the UPDATING notes, supposedly replaced with better support. But many =
FreeBSD statements implicitly mean "tier 1" as the implicit context and =
have other implications elsewhere. I've no clue in this case yet.

So far powerpc64 11.0-CURRENT -r280598 has not had such problems when =
used with the same PowerMac G5's.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net