Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:24:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        Eric Lee Green <eric@estinc.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why filemarks in sardpos?

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:

> Matthew Jacob writes:
>  > You're porting and NDMP server? Good! Will you make it publicly available?
>
> I am doing this NDMP thing for a customer, using some of their proprietary
> code, so I can't release the result.
>
> This was mainly a solaris job, and I just tried the FreeBSD port for
> the fun of it, and with the goal of enabling FreeBSD as a tape server
> platform for my customer's product ;)
>
> As I ran into trouble with maintaining tape position, I dropped the
> idea for the moment. Convincing them that FreeBSD was the best tape server
> platform for them was a long bet anyway, and if I have to add a custom
> driver, it becomes really complicated (I hope to be back at it later).

Yeah, well, my bad. I'm working on this this morning.

> There is a nice open-source NDMP package at
> http://traakan.traakan.com/ndmjob/ . There are some pieces missing, but the
> author said that he is going to release a new version soon, and this could
> be the basis for a FreeBSD port.

Actually, I'm on the hook for doing this for FreeBSD/NetBSD/Linux (I do some
work for Traakan). It's just that other items have gotten in the way before I
could get to it. But, hey, if you're gonna do it....

> In the current release, the main missing pieces are:
>  - Part of the authentication code. I submitted small FreeBSD patches to the
>    author for this, I hope that they (or a replacement) will be in the
>    future release.
>  - Real tape interface code. This would be really easy to add for FreeBSD,
>    if only 'sa' would better keep the tape position. It would probably be
>    possible to do it with the current 'sa' by using the resid counts on
>   tape move operations, and updating the position internally on read/write.
>  - Some of the 'DATA' interface code. You can backup, but not restore... I
>    hope that this will be added in the next release of ndmjob.
>
> With this port, I think that a FreeBSD machine could be part of an NDMP
> setup, either as a TAPE server (machine with a tape drive connected), or as
> a DATA server (machine to be backed-up/restored). The NDMP client (backup
> manager) in ndmjob is not that useful, it's mainly a test tool.
>
> I'll take a try at doing the port when the new version comes out, if
> this is okayed by my customer.

Well- that'd be cool, actually. I think that *BSD and Linux could really use
this. Dump/Restore just don't cut it.

-matt