Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:32:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual hosts: IP aliases on de0 or lo0 ?

Hi,

putting aliases on lo0 in place of an ethernet interface has
the big advantage that your router has to do less arp queries.
You just have routes pointing to your ethernet interface.

Greetings
Christian

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:

> I'm setting up a new server for virtual hosting (HTTP, FTP, IMAP/POP,
> etc.)  It will have a single network interface; and probably only a
> relatively small number of virtual hosts.  (Running FreeBSD 3.3R, 3.4R,
> or -STABLE)
>
> What are the relative merits of putting the IP aliases on the
> network interface (de0) as versus the loopback interface (lo0) ?
> Would there be any benefits at all to creating additional
> loopback interfaces instead of aliasing?  (I suspect not; but
> would like to hear from someone more knowlegable about why.)
>
> The factors I'm most interested in are those relating to security,
> performance, and the ability to easily monitor the bandwidth used
> by each virtual host; although I would like to hear about any other
> factors.  I would also be interested in hearing about anything that
> might be in -CURRENT, or planned for 4.x that might affect these
> decisions.
>

> Thanks,
> -Pat

TopLink Internet Services GmbH			ck@171.2.195.in-addr.arpa
Christian Kratzer				http://www.toplink.net/
Phone: 	+49 7032 2701-0
Fax: 	+49 7032 2701-19	FreeBSD spoken here!