Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 10:39:18 +1000 (EST)
From:      raoul@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Raoul Golan)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Too many UUCP checksum errors! Help!

Hello people,

I'm at my wit's end!

I've got one more problem I need help with (hopefully the last).
I've set up UUCP to a linux machine, and I'm finding that uucico
fails miserably due to too many checksum errors.

I've tried protocols i and g, and they both suffer from the same
problem.

I've made sure that XON/XOFF flow control was off, and that
CTS/RTS flow control was on.  I did this by checking stty
on my /dev/cua* device, which listed "-ixon -ixoff crtscts".
I also send a command to my modem when dialling that explicitly
sets CTS/RTS flow control on, and XON/XOFF flow control off.

I've tried varying the packet size and window size, but I still
find the same problem.  I've also varied the DTE baud rate with
no success.

I used to run linux UUCP to this same site without any problems,
and with the same protocol, packet size and window size that
FreeBSD is trying now.  I never used to get bad checksums.

The end result is that I can only transfer a few hundred, or
thousand bytes before uucico gives up altogether.  Linux used
to give me around 1300 bytes/sec, whereas with FreeBSD I'm
getting a dismal 150 bytes/sec because of all the errors.

If this is any help, I turned the uucico debugging on, and
the Debug file was left full of bad checksum messages.  It also
listed the data it received at each step, and I found that there
were bytes missing from the stream... I could tell because
mail is usually sent as plain text, and I could see that
with a packet size of 64 around 10 bytes go missing, and
the next packet header is mistakenly taken to be data.
I've no idea how this comes about.

Please help!

Raoul