Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:34:58 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Caleb Stein <caleb.stein@me.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make installworld fails

Caleb Stein <caleb.stein@me.com> writes:

> I am trying to update my FreeBSD 8.0 to FreeBSD 8.1.  Here is the
> order I ran the commands in (all as root):
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> shutdown now
> make installkernel
> shutdown -r now
> adjkerntz -i
> mount -a -t ufs
> mergemaster -p
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot
>
> But I didn't get to run the last two.  When I run make installworld, I
> get errors telling me that the filesystem is full.  Now, I can assure
> you it  is not.  Well, basically, what I am asking is why is the
> filesystem full  after installing the new kernel?

The number of kernel modules has been increasing quite quickly, and
modules are installed with the kernel (by default).  This has led to
installkernel filling up the root filesystem increasingly often.  It
just happened to me yesterday, although in that case snapshots and four
or five old kernels were part of the problem.

Are you *sure* that the filesystem isn't full?
Can you show df(1) output?