Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:38:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Craig W. Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitioning suggestions?

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Craig W. Shaver wrote:

> chuckr@glue.umd.edu wrote:
> >
> del ...
> >
> > A friend who programs a lot shocked me by saying that she regularly
> > installs just one big partition, for /,/usr/ the whole works.  I'd
> > never done that myself, but I've been trying to come up with some solid
> > reason why it's a bad idea.
> >
> I think the original reasoning among sysadmins was to break up the file
> systems so that they could be backed up to tape easily.  Tape size being
> somewhat on the small side at one time.  So 60mb to 150mb file systems
> were the norm.  I like to put / and /usr under 1 2g disk.  That includes

  Huh?  Backup tools have supported multiple tapes for a _long_ time.

  The real reason, is compartmentalizing functions.  If one file system
fills up, it doesn't bring down the entire system.  For example, if '/'
has no space, you won't even be able to change passwords.  You want
specific functions to be isolated to prevent such problems.  This is only
a real concern on server systems.  On a desktop system, one big
filesystem works ok.

> The idea of using MFS mounted /tmp is appealing.  How do you do that?
> Is there some documentation on that?

  Yes, the manpages.

  The appeal factor depends on what you use /tmp for. I'll to like to
quotas on /tmp to make sure users don't use it all it up.  I also, use
"-pipe" on gcc, so the compiler doesn't even use /tmp for anything.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
> Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088

Tom