Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 14:02:05 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich), freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 961006-SNAP comments

<<On Tue, 8 Oct 1996 18:15:14 +0100 (MET), Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> said:

> Finally, a note on the computation of "default" partitions. It looks like
> computations are based on memory size rather than on disk space. I have
> tried to install on a 2GB disk and with 8MB ram, resulting in 28MB of
> swap. I'd probably make it compute a larger swap area if the FreeBSD
> slice is big enough. Say, 5..10% of the slice ?

When I first wrote the code to do that, it just automatically took
twice the size of physical memory.  Different people have different
needs for swap, so it's difficult to make a choice that will please
both people with 8M machines and those with 64M machines.  (I have 40M
in my machine, and the only reason it has as much swap as it does is
so that I can get crash dumps; in normal operation it never pages
anything out to swap.)

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick