Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:02:20 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mhenrion@cybercable.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config and config -r

In message <39719CC5.3554B6C5@cybercable.fr> Maxime Henrion writes:
: Of course, I did a make depend !
: I think that if config could be dangerous this way, -r should be its default
: behaviour.

No.  I've done literally 1000's of kernel builds and have never, ever
had a problem with config's output that would have been solved by
doing a config -r.  I did used to use config -r to solve these
problems, but found that make depend followed by make or worst case
make clean (in the case of .o file corruption) followed by a make will
fix these problems.  I've not used config -r except maybe once or
twice in the last two years.  Both times it was because the previous
config ran out of disk space and created too many zero length files
which a new config didn't clean up exactly right.

Warner