Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:31:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        bburnell@dnai.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oh dear...

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>I feel like such a fool for asking this...

>In /etc/rc.conf, I can see the setting that determines the terminal screen
>saver.  So I suppose I have to questions:

>1) What are the names of the various screen savers?

  % grep saver /etc/defaults/rc.conf
  saver="NO"              # screen saver: Uses /modules/${saver}_saver.ko

  % ls /modules/*_saver.ko
  /modules/apm_saver.ko           /modules/logo_saver.ko
  /modules/blank_saver.ko         /modules/rain_saver.ko
  /modules/daemon_saver.ko        /modules/snake_saver.ko
  /modules/fade_saver.ko          /modules/star_saver.ko
  /modules/fire_saver.ko          /modules/warp_saver.ko
  /modules/green_saver.ko

So, possible values are: "daemon", "snake" etc

>2) Hos does one change the terminal screen setting once the system has
>booted?

man vidcontrol

To look at different savers you can do:

  # kldload snake_saver
  # vidcontrol -t 4
  (wait a few seconds for saver to kick in... look at it... hit space)
  # vidcontrol -t off
  # kldunload snake_saver
  (etc)

What actually happens at boot can be figured out by reading
/etc/rc.syscons (or a part of /etc/rc.i386 for not-so-recent systems).

    Regards,
    /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com