Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 00:18:49 -0400
From:      "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How do i get my sound to work ...used handbook already

I have compiled my kernel for support of my ESS 1868 and it comes up in
the dmesg just fine and dandy.  However when i get to the point in the
handbook where it says to do a "cat /dev/sndstat" i get a "no such file or
directory.  here is what the dmesg reports
sbc0: <ESS ES1868> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b.0x330-0x331 irq 5 drq
1,0 on isa0

pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0

In the kernel i have

device    pcm
device    sbc

Any one able to give me a hand?  I will be serchign the mail archives as
well

Regards,

G. Jason Middleton