Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:22:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make's default actions while installing ports

Over my head??? NOthing in computer science can be
over my head. Mathematics, now that is another story.
There have been several times in math when I felt that
I may be in over my head. But comp sci?? Nah, not
possible.

Now, to get back to the question at hand. Yes you are
correct, this does seem to be where the "all" target
is defined in this circumstance. The problem was for
some reason I was thinking(incorrectly) that "all" was
already defined from the ".MAIN: all" statement, but
of course this has nothing to do with "all" being
defined as a target. My bad. Not in over my head.
Just, my bad. You were right,and I was wrong for
getting a bit "hot" over the whole thing. Let's go
have a beer sometime. Thanks for the help.

Wayne

--- Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 06:22:20PM -0800, Wayne
> Lubin wrote:
> >OK, fine, pretty, beautiful and life is great and
> all
> >that, but does anyone know how/where the "all"
> target
> >is defined in bsd.port.mk ?? And if so, can you
> clue
> >me in on it too? Thanks.
>
> Wayne, I'm beginning to wonder if you're in over
> your head here.
>
> I showed you this excerpt from bsd.port.mk, which
> occurs directly
> after the block conditionalized on the definition of
> the symbol ALL_HOOK:
>
> <quote file="$PORTSDIR/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line="1925">
> .if !target(all)
> all: build
> .endif
> </quote>
>
> I'm sorry, but I can't be much more precise than
> quoting
> the exact code which defines the "all" target. As
> well, my suggestion
> that  careful reading of the make(1) man page was
> required was not made
> just to make conversation. Perhaps I should amend
> that statement to
> be "You need to understand the make(1) man page -
> all of it - in order
> to be able to follow the $PORTSDIR/Mk/bsd.*.mk
> files."
>
> --
> Alan Eldridge
> "Dave's not here, man."