Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:11:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: idea/help w. mirroring

:Something like that would also be useful to reduce the load on
:primary CVSup server hosts such as freefall.
:
:> Stacking layer.
:
:Ha ha ha, how about something that actually works, as opposed to
:"sounds good in the McKusick book"?  As far as I can tell, there's not
:a single stackable filesystem in FreeBSD that works well enough to use
:in practice.
:
:John
:--
:  John Polstra                                               jdp@polstra.com
:  John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington USA
:  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

    Hmmm.   At BEST, we do a sort of stacking.  We break the CVS tree out
    into a source tree on a read-only partition.  We then construct
    /usr/src by 'layering' it over the read-only source tree by reconstructing
    the directory structure in a r+w partition and making each source file
    a softlink to the read-only 'backing store'.

    When we need to make a local hack, we break the softlink.  When we update
    the underlying source, we diff any broken softlinks and fold in changes
    as appropriate.  It aint perfect, but it allows us to maintain local
    hacks while simultaniously preventing us from accidently corrupting
    the source tree.

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)