Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:18:38 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Vinod Namboodiri <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSS mode yet?

> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:06:40 -0800 (PST)
> From: Vinod Namboodiri <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I have just installed a orinoco card into my freebsd
> 4.4 box.
> Does FreeBSd now support the BSS mode or still
> restricted to the IBSS mode?
> wicontrol shows an option of 1 and 3 for BSS and
> ad-hoc mode.will assigning 1 make my box work in the
> BSS mode?

FreeBSD has supported BSS mode pretty much since it has supported the
WaveLAN cards. The default mode was changed from Ad-hoc mode to BSS at
about 4.3 and remains the default mode in 4.5.

What FreeBSD does not support is a FreeBSD system acting as a BSS
Access Point. It can only set up a BSS connection to an access point.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)