Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:22:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/distfiles file

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995 Ruiyuan_Jiang/Advantage_KBS_at_LotusXchg@njcorp.akbs.com wrote:

>   Right now I am facing a problem. According to the
>   "http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook28.html" page, I have to have
>   /usr/ports/distfiles file to allow me porting INN news from either CD-ROM
>   or internet. I checked my system and the system does not have
>   /usr/ports/distfiles. Can you tell me where I can get this file (I
>   checked ftp.freebsd.org and I could not find the directory) or did I
>   install FreeBSD wrong? Thanks in advance.

/usr/ports/distfiles is a directory.  If you don't have it, make it.
It's for storing the distribution archives for ports.

All you need to do is download the port from ftp.freebsd.org, extract to
a temporary directory and 'make install'; it'll take it from there (get
the archive, extract, patch, compile)

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant