Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2015 08:35:02 -0700
From:      Laurie Jennings <laurie_jennings_1977@yahoo.com>
To:        "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Subject:   Re: Locking Memory Question

On Thu, 7/30/15, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

 To: "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
 Cc: "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "John-Mark Gurney=
" <jmg@funkthat.com>, "Laurie Jennings" <laurie_jennings_1977@yahoo.com>
 Date: Thursday, July 30, 2015, 10:16 AM
=20
 On Wednesday, July 29,
 2015 11:28:03 PM K. Macy wrote:

 > >> Im not clear how
 I'd do that. the data being passed up from the kernel is
 a variable size. To use copyout I'd have to pass a
 > >> pointer with a static buffer,
 right?

 Correct, you can pass along the size, and if it's not
 large enough
 > > try again... Less
 than ideal...

 >> Is there a way to malloc user space memory from
 within an ioctl call?

 > > Well, it is possible that you could
 do the equivalent of mmap, and pass

 > the address back along w/ a length, and leave it up to
 the user to
 > > munmap it...=A0 This is
 probably the nicest method if you the size is
 > > really largely variable, and it's
 expensive if the userland process

 allocated too much memory...=A0 The down side is that this is
 more
 > > complex to code...
 > >
 >=20
 >=20
 > Mach has the ability
 to send large "out of line messages". For
 smaller
 > messages where it doesn't
 do VM tricks to avoid copying it does

 exactly this. In the receive path the kernel calls
 vm_allocate (which
 > is essentially just
 a wrapper for mmap) then copies the buffer in to
 > the newly allocated address space. The
 message itself contains the
 > allocated
 address and size of the allocation. The receiver is
 expected
 > to call vm_deallocate (munmap)
 when it's done with the data.
 >=20
 > The implementation is mixed in with enough
 other code that it may not
 > be a useful
 reference. Nonetheless, I wanted to point at that this
 > isn't as strange as it might sound.
=20
 You can do this in FreeBSD by
 calling vm_mmap() with a NULL handle pointer
 to simulate a MAP_ANON mapping.=A0 Something
 like this:
=20
 =A0=A0=A0
 vm_mmap(&curproc->p_vmspace->vm_map, &addr,
 <size>, VM_PROT_READ |
 =A0=A0=A0 =A0 =A0
 VM_PROT_WRITE, VM_PROT_READ | VM_PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED,
 OBJT_DEFAULT,
 =A0=A0=A0 =A0=A0=A0 NULL, 0);
=20
 It's not great for a true
 shared memory buffer, but is fine for a one-time
 copy.
=20
  -- ------------

Thanks everyone for the help on this. I decided to implement it with copyou=
t(), mainly for maintainability going forward. I only
have a couple of commands that require a larger than normal buffer, and I c=
an always do a double fetch if the initial buffer is too
small.=20

the big problem with the VM stuff (aside from making my head spin around) i=
s that it's not documented, so it's difficult to debug
and someone else working on the code will have no idea what's going on.=20

Thank again,

Laurie