Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:12:50 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions ML <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: w3 web browser on freebsd v6.2-R

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:58:02 +1000
jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 06:47:02PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:04:07 +1000
> > jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > [....]

> > > i found "usr/local/lib/libintl.so" and "/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6"
> >
> > yes, a few -RELEASE boxen i manage have that too
>
> suggestion .. please, how (best) to keep a freebsd host 'up-to-date',
> for me, for various reasons going down the -stable road is too
> much work. currently i use -release untill i need to upgrade
> for some (usually) serious reason.
>
> the situation that i am in now is the natural conclusion of
> that road ..

Well, what I usually do  in these cases ( not necessarily saying it is the BEST
way, but it seems common sense enough for me) is use freebsd-update to keep
world +kernel up to date with security patches. That is, of course, if you have
a default configuration (GENERIC or SMP kernels). Otherwise, just point your
cvsup / csup files to the -RELENG branches of the code and you'll only get
those updates ( eg, 6.2-RELENG-pX , where X is the patch # to  6.2-RELENG ) so
you can rebuild your kernel + world as needed.

run portaudit daily to see what ports have been affected by security issues.
Decide whether to upgrade those that have been marked as 'with problems' by
portaudit. Sometimes the issues detailed by the portaudit report don't affect
you, although if you are in doubt, you should upgrade .

[...]
> ok, i will try that latter on today .. thanks norberto, hope
> you had a good weekend ?

yeah, weather has been great ... though we're now back to some cold..which
is what is expected to this time of the year ( Southern hemisphere ;) )

best regards,

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Quantum Logic Chicken:
  The chicken is distributed probabalistically on all sides of the
  road until you observe it on the side of your course.

Warned.