Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:51:33 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Michelle Weeks <tristan11@mindspring.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrading sendmail to 8.12.6

At 09:12 AM 11.22.2002 -0800, Michelle Weeks wrote:
>I am running freebsd 4.6.2-Release and would like to upgrade sendmail
>from 8.12.3 to 8.12.6.  I tried using make and make install from
>/usr/ports/mail/sendmail and then restarted sendmail using the killall
>-HUP command.  However, when I telnet to localhost port 25, it shows
>that 8.12.3 is still running.  Am I missing a step or do I need to
>delete the older version of sendmail before installing the newer version?

I've never installed sendmail from ports, but I suspect your version that
is part of the base system is still being run. Your install from ports is
probably in another path (just a guess - usually ports places stuff in the
/usr/local/directoryxxx path) and you'll need to make changes in your
rc.conf file to point to the new program on starup. Also, you would then
need to be in the new different directory for the make start/stop
stuff..... you should be able to do a ps -auxw | grep sendmail to see from
where the program comes.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator