Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:56:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        WOLF <travis@interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dial-up speed

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, WOLF wrote:

>          I am running a 386 with Freebsd installed on it.  I have a Lan card
> and a USR 56K modem on the 386.

er ... Does this machine have a 16550 UART for the modem port?

> I have set this computer up as a router and gateway (using the -alias in
> ppp)to the internet for my comptuers on my LAN.  I have everything
> working, however for some reason, I find my connection very slow when I
> am working on another computer on my LAN even when I am the only one
> getting information from the internet. I have tried dialing in terminal
> mode and it gives my a connection speed of 44Kbs (a wierd number)  and
> it still goes at max 1.5kbs!!

That's dialup for you.  Note that 44000 as reported by the modem is BITS
per second, while you're getting 1.5 kilo BYTES per second.  1.5KB/sec is
pretty slow, though, even for >28.8 (I think you get that on a 14.4
connection).  Your modem may be dropping speed after it connects though
due to bad lines -- the high initial connect rate is a X2-ism, it is
certainly dropping that speed.

> What I was wondering is if there was some way to increase the speed of
> my connection. Also, why does my internet access goes so slow even
> though my 386 doesn't even seem to be having any trouble with the
> requests?

Beyond dialup, you have to go into more expensive avenues, ie ISDN, cable
modems, or DSL, if it's available in your area.