Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 05:55:41 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netns

> > > IPX is based on XNS.  It differs by one significant field.  The
> > > SAP (Service Advertisement Protocol) in IPX comed directly from
> > > XNS.
> >
> > So you are agreeing with me that to use netns to do ipx when we
> > have netipx does not make sense? :-)
> >
> > > FWIW.
> >
> > I know, a lot of my time went into netipx, which was derived from
> > netns. I also did IPXrouted which does SAP too.
>
> I was mostly agreeing with Julian, that if people are using it, it
> shouldn't be orphaned because something moved out from under some
> otherwise perfectly good code.  A lot of people used to do 802.3
> vs. Ethernet II, as well, and they did it for compatability with
> legacy systems... so whether it makes technical sense or not, it
> might make business sense.  8-).

You can tell them it makes business sense to do a s/AF_NS/AF_IPX/g
in their code and suddenly they will be able to do even more then
before, for instance they will be able to do different frame types
on the same wire and one different wires. The netns code can only
do one frame type per box, which is a pain if you want to connect
part 802.3 and part Ethernet II networks. Yes I know because we
run it like that at work. As a bonus FreeBSD get to maintain one
piece of code and not two pieces that do almost exactly the same
thing. Bugs fixed in one place, enhancements made in one place.
I'm sure it makes business sense. :-)

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org