Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:39:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is fetchmail with Cox possible?????

--0-2108276659-1015443565=:4886

Hello all,

I am having trouble receiving my email from Cox's POP3
server (pop.west.cox.net). I am running FreeBSD-4.5
and have fetchmail installed. I have attached the
entry applying to fetchmail from my ipf.rules file and
my ~/.fetchmailrc file. I am entering the command
"fetchmail" and am then prompted for my password,
which I enter. I then regain my prompt, as if
everything worked (assuming I am not supposed to see
any text appear while retrieval takes place). However,
I do not receive the mail stored on my account...any
ideas on what I am doing wrong????

TIA,

Thomas Kersten

http://mail.yahoo.com/
--0-2108276659-1015443565=:4886

IPF.rules
*********
<--clipped-->
pass  in  quick on rl0 proto smtp from 68.1.17.2 to my.ip.add.ress port = 25 flags S keep state<--clipped-->

68.1.17.2 is the IP address of the POP server my mail is coming from (according to a ping
command). I allowed port 25 with the SMTP protocol because of the following sentence in
the fetchmail man page:
  "As  each  message is retrieved fetchmail normally delivers
   it via SMTP to port 25 on the machine  it  is  running  on
   (localhost), just as though it were being passed in over a
   normal TCP/IP link"

~/.fetchmailrc
**************
set daemon 60
poll pop.west.cox.net
protocol POP3
username thomas@mydomain.net
fetchall

This information seems to be correct from what I have read about fetchmail, the POP server
is correct and uses the POP3 protocol. The one thing I am unsure of is the username. In
the web-interface that Cox has set up (for online mail retrieval), it is my login, but
when I run the "fetchmail" command and it prompts for my password, the username becomes
"thomas@mydomain.net@pop.west.cox.net"...I am not sure if the two @'s are affecting
anything.

--0-2108276659-1015443565=:4886--