Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:19:54 -0600
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bash2 or devfs problem?

--On Tuesday, March 11, 2003 00:38:08 +0100 Poul-Henning Kamp
<phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> In message <XFMail.20030310155011.conrads@cox.net>, Conrad Sabatier
> writes:
>> I've noticed that bash's process substitution fails under -CURRENT.
>>
>> For (an admittedly stupid, trivial) example:
>>
>> diff <(cat file1) <(cat file2)
>>
>> errors out with:
>>
>> diff: /dev/fd/63: No such file or directory
>> diff: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
>>
>> Apparently, the nodes for the named pipes are not being created as they
>> should.
>>
>> Is this a bash problem, or something in devfs not working as expected?
>
> That's a good question...
>
> Has anybody found out what the standards conformant thing is for /dev/fd ?
>
> presently we do only 0,1 & 2, with the std{in,out,err} symlinks.
>
> If we are required to do all filedescriptors, we should do so with
> fdescfs by default.
It is supposed to (based on MY reading of the fd(4) man page on a UnixWare
(SysVr5) system)
be ALL filedescriptors.

this paragraph seems to be the cogent part:

These files, conventionally called /dev/fd/0, /dev/fd/1, /dev/fd/2,
   and so on, refer to files accessible through file descriptors. If file
   descriptor n is open, these two system calls have the same effect:
   fd = open("/dev/fd/n",mode);
   fd = dup(n);

The full manpage is visible at:

http://www.lerctr.org:8458/en/man/html.4/fd.4.html