Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:01:53 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Jason Arnaute <non_secure@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is wrong with ipv6_defaultrouter ?

--------------enigDDB0B64BA8C990E44D0A6119

If memory serves me right, Jason Arnaute wrote:
> --- "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> If memory serves me right, Jason Arnaute wrote:
>>> (FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE)
>>>
>>> I have two ipv6 related lines in my /etc/rc.conf:
>>>
>>> ifconfig_em0_alias0=3D"inet6 XXX::2/48"
>>> ipv6_defaultrouter=3D"XXX::1"
>>>
>>> When I boot like this, I do not get a default ipv6
>>> route in my routing table.  'netstat -rn' shows me
>>> default route for ipv4, but no default route for
>> ipv6.
>>
>> You probably want to replace that first line with:
>>
>> ipv6_ifconfig_em0=3D"XXX::2/48"
>>
>> Also make sure to set ipv6_enable=3D"YES".
>=20
>=20
> But the ipv6 ifconfig and the ipv6 networking all work
> fine without either of those changes.  I'd prefer not
> to fix anything that isn't broken ...

Not having a default route isn't what I'd call "working fine".  :-)
ipv6_ifconfig_em0 is the documented, supported mechanism for specifying
an IPv6 address for your em0 interface at system startup time.  The fact
that you were able to do this by specifying an interface alias is a
happy accident but it's not supported.

> Are you suggesting that one or both of those changes
> will cause the ipv6_defaultrouter declaration to
> suddenly begin working ?

Yes.

Note that as of 6.2-RELEASE if you don't set ipv6_enable=3D"YES" you migh=
not get a link-local address on any of your network interfaces.  This
will cause some problems.  (This change was made deliberately in order
to avoid assigning IPv6 link-local addresses on systems that weren't
explicitly configured to enable IPv6.)

> Do you use that same  ipv6_defaultrouter  declaration
> in your rc.conf ?

Yes.

Please read through the rc.conf(5) manpage...there's an explanation of
the various ipv6_* variables there.  There should be something on this
topic in the FreeBSD Handbook as well.

Bruce.