Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:17:16 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        Mark.Andrews@isc.org, Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installworld fails: unknown groups games

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 10:08:14PM -0500, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> > > Did it mention something about compiling and installing mergemaster
> > > first?
> > >
> > > your version is prob ably old and doesn't know about p, so you'll
> > > have to find mergemaster in /usr/src and run make && make install
> > > then you should be able to use -p if you don't have a new
> > > mergemastger already.
> >
> > 	DON'T FOLLOW THIS ADVICE.
> >
> > 	Follow the more precise instuctions in UPDATING.
> >

> It wasn't meant as precise advice, just something else to find in
> updating!

From /usr/src/UPDATING:

20020404:
        Due to the import of sendmail 8.12.2 (see 20020325 entry), a new
        user and group are required in order for sendmail to run as a
        set-group-ID binary.  A 'make installworld' will use the new user
        and group to set the owner and group of /var/spool/clientmqueue
        and will fail if the new user and group do not exist.  The 'smmsp'
        user and group must be merged from src/etc/group and
        src/etc/master.passwd before using 'make installworld'.
        'mergemaster -p' will do this.  You may need to install
        mergemaster before this will work if you are updating from a
        very old version of stable.  This can be done with:
        cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster; make all install [clean]

So David's advice looks about right to me.

Lars, were you _really_ updating from 3.3 straight to 4.6?  That's got to
be asking for trouble.  I'd have spent about a day going through UPDATING
and the list archives before embarking on anything like that, and probably
done it in at least two steps 3.3 -> 4.0 -> 4.6.  You're a brave man...I'm
quite surprised this was the only problem you had!

BTW, the third step in the make world procedure described in the Handbook
explicitly tells you to check the contents of etc/group, and how to use
mergemaster -p from an older version.

	Scott