Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:53:29 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Secondary DNS or BSD Server space

Everyone:

We just got word that Neustar, which bought DNS service provider
Nominum a few years ago,  is shutting down Nominum's
"secondary.com" service. The service used to provide secondary DNS
for users' zones at no charge.

I and the other secondary.com users I know think it's reasonable
for the company to charge a small but reasonable fee for the
service instead of keeping it running for free. But alas, Neustar
is getting greedy. The only alternative they offer is a $50-a-month
"managed DNS" service, which we don't want or need. (We're fine
maintaining our own master servers and zones; we just need a slave
to use as a secondary.) So, we're looking for alternatives.

Does anyone on this list know of a good, BSD-based service which
offers reasonably priced secondary DNS? Or reasonably priced
servers at a server farm, where I and others can set up a secondary DNS server?

--Brett Glass