Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:21:49 -0500
From:      Brian Jackson <b.k.jackson@verizon.net>
To:        "Ber Ez" <berez@techie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Server Advice

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 12:17  AM, Ber Ez wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I need to build a mail server , I have won the battle of weather to
> use FreeBSD or Linux or M$ .
> now i'm facing a new battle ,postfix vs qmail.
> I need your advice .
> which of the two would be faster on freebsd ?
> any optimaization tips ?
> the system will handle a few mailing lists of 30,000+ subscribers (
> news letters ,not a discussion list ) and over 20,000 users.
> I am thinking of load balancing this between three servers and am
> looking for info on that as well.
> thanks
> Ber .
> --

qmail (http://www.qmail.org) with ezmlm (http://www.ezmlm.org) and the
ezmlm-idx patch  (also on http://www.ezmlm.org) make an excellent, easy
will also give you the ability to create html archives)

Inter7 has a brilliant virtual hosting and web mail platform  for qmail
as well (http://www.inter7.com).

With all that said, I have no experience with postfix - but I have had
much success with qmail and its addons.

Brian
--
Brian Jackson