Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:11:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf syntax change (multiple program/host specifications)

<<On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 06:32:36 +0000, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> said:

> I'd much prefer to develop a simple yacc-able grammar and
> develope the configuration parser that way, or use a key=value
> configuration, so human beings can understand the configuration
> with a program to help them.

I don't think either of these is truly a useful answer, particularly
for something like syslog which is already straining for a more
expressive syntax.  There are just too many little languages in the
system already, each one subtly different in syntax, such that it's
nearly impossible to do anything programmatic with them that isn't
built in to the program that they configure.  I'd prefer
S-expressions, myself, but in terms of general accessibility and
availability of automated processing tools, XML wins over Lisp.

(However much I dislike XML, I find myself writing more and more of it
as time goes by, and I've spent a good deal of my time becoming
familiar with its restrictions.  Some of the languages built on top of
XML, like XSLT, are much worse [says the man who will some day release
his XSLT package for doing Web photo galleries].)

-GAWollman