Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:56:26 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        mprice@atl.lmco.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Purchasing a scanner - need advice.

>I was thinking about picking up a 1200 dpi flatbed scanner for use with a
>FreeBSD machine and wanted to check with the group to see if anyone had
>some
>advice as to which one I should purchase. Any advice is appreciated. Price
>isn't as much of a consideration as everything working correctly.
>
>Michael

Some tips:

1) 1200DPI is needed if you want to make a life-size picture of a guy on a
postage stamp. Otherwise, 300DPI is just fine. (I have a 1200DPI scanner and
rarely scan at about 150)
An 8.5*11" picture@32 bit color is around 400MB as well.

2) HP and Umax both make good scanners (Other companies do as well I am sure
but I haven't used them).
HP has rediculously good support. Not sure how they maintain a profit.
-Avoid Visioneer-
(I have stories for both HP and Visioneer if anyone cares)

3) I have no idea which scanners are compatible with FreeBSD as I use
FreeBSD for servers (i.e. without scanners), but you are probably better off
with a SCSI or parallel port scanner than a USB scanner.

Hope this helps.