Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 22:59:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, Alain.Thivillon@alma.fr, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Network] PPPD ou User PPP ?

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.960707235803.221H@gdi.uoregon.edu> Doug White wrote:
: On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Alain Thivillon wrote:

: > I'm trying to configure my FreeBSD server (HP LC 64/2Go, FreeBSD 2.1)
: > to serve as a PPP server for my remote users. I want the following
: > behaviour :
: > - no login shell started, direct CHAP authentification

 You can do this a few ways, i'd recommend getting mgetty-0.99beta and
 using the AUTO_PPP detection stuff to pass off anything talking ppp
 straight to a ppp process.

: make an account with username 'ppp' no password, have it start up the
: pppd session as a script or directly from /etc/ttys.  Then set up the
: pppd for chap.

 This still needs a client-side script to enter "ppp" at the login prompt,
 which suxs a little :)

: huh?  Using usermode ppp you can have it argue with the server to try to
: obtain specific IPs.  If you want to do specific addressing I think that
: is possible, don't know though.

 Yup its possible depending on what you want to do as to how difficult it
 is :)

: > I have read the handbook, FAQ and others documents, but there is no
: > relay good advice on "server side" PPP.

: Go look again.  I'm pretty sure there is a whole section devoted to all
: aspects of ppp, client and server.

 Yes but its pretty dated, and doesn't really address the current type
 of support that ISP's want to provide... like out of the box support
 for Win95, with negotiation of NameServer addresses etc.

 Perhaps a "tutorial" for the tutorials section on setting up dialup
 access for ISP and other applications with notes about all the client
 specific breakages would be of use??? anyone think so?

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  The internet is full, please try again in half an hour...