Date:      Mon, 26 May 2014 15:53:39 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD-Announce] The base src to cvs exporter is being retired

--nextPart1552936.8n2QSSpe14

While doing some maintenance work on the svn->cvs exporter last week, I=
t was=20
discovered that its staging areas had been corrupted again.

As a reminder, we said we'd try to keep the exporter running "best effo=
rt basis=20
until 9.0-RELEASE, 8.3-RELEASE, 7.4-RELEASE are no longer supported".  =
All of=20
these milestones are in the past.

Archives of the last runs of the exporter are propagating to ftp.FreeBS=
D.org=20
in /pub/FreeBSD/development/CVS-archive/ at this time.

The contents of the src collection in the cvsup mirrors has been frozen=
 and=20
will soon only be available from the archive above.  The previously rem=
oved=20
ports, doc, www collections are also archived there for archaeology pur=
poses.

We still provide old-style pkg_add binary packages for both "subversion=
" and=20
"svnup" for FreeBSD-8.x and 9.x.  We provide new style 'pkg install' bi=
nary=20
builds of these every week via pkg.FreeBSD.org.

Both subversion and svnup build from source without too much difficulty=
 on older=20
versions of FreeBSD if required.

We also provide daily source and ports tarballs on  ftp.FreeBSD.org at=20=

/pub/FreeBSD/development/tarballs/  as last resort for people with very=
=20
ancient releases.

Obtaining FreeBSD via subversion is documented at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/svn.html

The temporary transition aid from 2008 had a good run.  It is time to p=
ut it=20
to rest.

=2DPeter (murderer of cvs)
=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' just won\342\200\231t do.