Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 11:19:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell), jfieber@indiana.edu, chadf@bookcase.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Misspelling in lib/libutil/login_cap.3 [w/ patch]

> > Sorry, at school I was taught English, not American.
>
> So was I:

That's debateable.

> - In the dictionary there is a section about American versus British
>   spelling. They don't even mentrion ``-ize'' or ``-ise''.
>   So to me it appears that ``-ise'' is an Australian speciality, neither
>   common in Great Britain nor in the US.

Wrong again.  If you want to be ridiculously pedantic, the use of 's'
over 'z' became common in Britain moderately recently, and the trend
didn't spread to the Americas.

You can argue that 'z' is historically correct, but archaic.

However, the real guide here should be style(9), which explicitly
requires style to follow the conventions established in a file being
modified.  If the manpage in question was written by an Australian
using commonly accepted Australian spellings, then you can expect 's'
to be used over 'z', and this should not be altered.

> Wolfgang, an amazed German.

I can't see why you're amazed; you were taught English in a country
raped and then financed by Americans.  I'm surprised they let you speak
German at all.