Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:40:35 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 at 15:41 SAT, Frank Griffith wrote:

> I have just gotten PostgreSQL-6.3.2 compiled and installed
> on my FreeBSD 2.2.7 system and I'm starting to learn the
> ropes. Not far into my reading, I came across some references
> to MySQL.
>
> Can anyone tell me how these two compare. Should I stay with
> PostgreSQL-6.3.2 or try MySQL? Any advice would be appreciated.

Without going into too much technical detail, one can probably say that MySQL
is the more well-rounded "product" for the moment, but that PostgreSQL's
eventual aims are more ambitious.

There are numerous differences between the two, and which one will work
better under certain circumstances depends very much on those circumstances.
My vote is for "if it works for you, stick with it".

VERY important is the difference in licensing issues.  Postgres is pretty
much free in all senses of the word.  MySQL you have to pay for if you base a
commercial product on it.

BTW, for a cute way of giving your Postgres databases a Web front-end, see:
  http://www.php.net/

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559